[OT] Non-GCC compilers used for linux userspace

Kyle Moffett mrmacman_g4 at mac.com
Tue Mar 28 18:20:50 CEST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 11:13:42, Eric Piel wrote:
> 03/28/2006 05:57 PM, Kyle Moffett wrote/a écrit:
>> But my question still stands.  Does anybody actually use any non-
>> GCC compiler for userspace in Linux?
>
> At least in the domain of HPC, I've seen people which were
> compiling mostly *everything* with the intel compiler (x86 and
> ia64) for performance reason. So... yes userspace is sometimes
> compiled with non-GCC compiler :-)

Ok, well, the Intel compiler actually ends up emulating GCC and
supports most of its extensions; supposedly it can even be used to
compile the kernel sources, as per include/linux/compiler-intel.h. (I
don't know how recently this has been tested, though)  So does
anybody compile userspace under anything other than GCC or Intel
compilers?  Do any such compilers even exist?

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett