[OT] Non-GCC compilers used for linux userspace

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Mar 29 23:23:44 CEST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Rob Landley announced authoritatively:
> I play with Fabrice Bellard's Tiny C Compiler (http://www.tinycc.org), and
> hope to get a distro compiled with it someday, at least as a proof of
> concept.

It's a nifty idea, a sort of uClibc of C compilers. Alas it's useless on
almost all my systems because it's x86-only by design...

> That aims for full c99 and is already implementing a lot of gcc stuff too.

Good for it, as long as it doesn't go on to define __GNUC__ like icc did
at one point (even though it doesn't implement all GCC
extensions)... but Fabrice is sane so I doubt he'd do anything that
loopy.

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management