[OT] Non-GCC compilers used for linux userspace

Roger Heflin rheflin at atipa.com
Thu Mar 30 17:15:06 CEST 2006

> Not even GCC fully supports C99 (although I think it does
> support that keyword when passed -std=c99 or -std=gnu99), and
> I suspect that a majority of the other compilers for which we
> would want to add support in the kernel headers would not
> support C99 or would do a poor job of handling inline functions.
>
> But my question still stands.  Does anybody actually use any
> non-GCC compiler for userspace in Linux?
>
> Cheers,
> Kyle Moffett

Sometimes.

I have customers that use Pathscale, Intel, and Portland
groups compilers.

Not all of them use the C compilers (Some just use the F90
compilers), but a number of them do use the C compiler, though
I would be that most of the applications are not going to care
about doing much against anything but standard ANSI C calls.

                                Roger