vim colors

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl
Fri Oct 11 15:33:57 CEST 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, lubos klokner wrote:

> hello,
>
> i have problem with colors in vim.
> when i export TERM=screen, vim show colors,
> but if i have TERM=xterm (this is default when i ssh to host)
> vim is only in b&w.

It is correct because:

$ TERM=xterm tput colors
-1

which informs TERM=xterm is mono terminal (and also X11 specifications
specifiessx TERM=xterm is mono :). This is why all our [x]term
emulation applications negotiates TERM=xterm-colors which:

$ TERM=xterm-color tput colors
8

which informs: this terminal is color capable :)
(look at terminfo(5) man page on colors sequence description).

kloczek