SOURCES (AC-branch): bashrc - removed stty erase setting to `tput ...

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Fri Jul 1 14:26:16 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 13:05:36 +0200, Jan Rekorajski wrote:

> > I'm still waiting for test cases what was wrong with my fix!
>
> I'm getting ^? instead of erased character. Scenario:
>
> a = host without stty erase set

OK, my machine.

> b = host with stty erase in bashrc
>
> start X on a
> run xterm

Wait a minute - your xterm doesn't set stty erase to '^H' !?

> ssh to b
> run vim, write something, try backspace

The same scenario works for me. It didn't without stty erase on the
remote side. I'm using both xterms - from XFree86 and X11.org.

> Don't do it, you'll end up fixing whole world.

I'm wondering if Debian is not trying to fix the world. For now we know:

		PLD	Debian	RH/FC	others...	ideal

xterm		^H	^?				^H or ^?
generates

kbs for		^H	^H	^H			^H or ^?
xterm-color

stty after	not	propagated			propagated
remote login	set

In Debian backspace bindings doesn't work unless terminal is specified
as xterm-debian.

--
GoTaR <priv0.onet.pl->gotar>        http://vfmg.sourceforge.net/
                                    http://tccs.sourceforge.net/