SPECS: python-xmlrpc.spec - I can be python-aware: arch-independen...

Paweł Sakowski saq at pld-linux.org
Wed Jul 6 15:46:26 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 13:53 +0200, Radoslaw Zielinski wrote:
> >> and *.py{c,o} shouldn't differ between archs.  They do.
> > They don't.
>
> The one I've checked before writing that mail did (python-ipaddr). ;-]

Read my lips: if they do differ, that's only in the "timestamp" field.
diff shows such files as different, but closer inspection proves that
there are no functional differences. Further: the serialized bytecode is
strictly speaking identical.

> So, usually, they don't differ, but not always.  Question: do we allow
> noarch packages, containing files, which differ between architectures?
> IIRC: no, but I may be wrong.

It's normal that different builders produce non-identical rpm files out
of noarch specs. It's most common for %{BUILDTIME} and files' mtime to
vary. With py[co] contents it's the same situation.

The important thing is that a packages built on various builders are
functionally equivalent, that is, can be freely interchanged between all
archs.

--
Paweł Sakowski <saq at pld-linux.org>
PLD Linux Distribution