cvs vs svn... (Re: SOURCES: ghostscript-afpl-am.patch (NEW), ghostscript-afpl-ijs_pkg...)

Jan Rekorajski baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl
Sat Sep 10 13:17:52 CEST 2005

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> On Saturday 10 of September 2005 12:48, Jan Rekorajski wrote:
> > On Fri, 09 Sep 2005, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > > svn: see how creating diff between release and branch of kdebase package
> > > is: svn diff svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/tags/KDE/3.4.2/kdebase \
> > > svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.4/kdebase \

> > > _without_ having anything beside svn client locally
> >
> > Side note about command line - it's what pisses me the most in svn, the
> > requirement to type whole long URLs. I don't need to know them, it's the
> > scm job to remember root dir for a repository/module.
> svn remembers the urls in the same way as cvs.
>
> mkdir /tmp/whatever; cd /tmp/whatever; cvs up -r TAG file
> won't work. you still need to specify whole
> -d:pserver:something at blahblah.pl:/somethingelse

I think you didn't get my point. With cvs I do cvs up once and then
I have ':pserver:something at blahblah.pl:/somethingelse' in CVS/Root
and I don't have to specify it anymore. With svn every time I want some
tag/branch I must specify the whole URL for that tag or branch.
Any svn command that has something to do with tag/branch requires URLs.
No such requirement with cvs.

What's interesting is that svn keeps this info in .svn/ and does not use
it. Sick.

> > With cvs I just do 'cvs up -r TAG file', with svn I have to type a
> > fscking loooong, exact, URL, which just hinders and slows the work down.
> > A lot.
> svn co -N longurl dir once, then
> cd dir; svn up something
>
> It will never be exactly the same as in cvs of course.
>
> With cvs it was annoying, too. But not in cvs pld, some of my aliases for
> example
>
> cvse='CVS_RSH=ssh cvs
> -d:ext:arekm at cvs.ezmlm-cgi-py.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ezmlm-cgi-py'
> cvspure='CVS_RSH=ssh cvs
> -d:ext:arekm at cvs.pureftpd.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pureftpd'

Wouldn't it be easier to do 'cvs login ; cvs co' once? And then you don't
need '-d ...' because it saved in CVS/Root. Works for me.

Janek
--
Jan Rękorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?