vim languages

Pawel Golaszewski blues at pld-linux.org
Tue Aug 7 09:53:25 CEST 2007

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Mariusz Mazur wrote:
> > any comments?
> The basic packages should be 'low reqs' and 'high reqs' (which
> translates to -- no langs and all langs). Anything in between should be
> left to ppl directly interested.

"All-or-nothing" isn't the best choice...
I think that there should be 3 possibilities:
- vim like in current packages we know. It would be nice to keep it.
- vim-tiny (or minimal) - for monks
- vim-full - for those who like all the bells and whistles

> I'm not however sure whether calling it 'vim-lang-all' is the right choice. It
> sounds kind of counterintuitive. The whole 'vim-lang' also sounds too far
> fetched -- I seriously doubt anyone's going to actually create
> those 'vim-langs', so imho it'll be better to call the full version vim-full,
> vim-loaded, or 'vim-whatever'. (Anyone got any bright ideas?)

Debians choice:
vim - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor
vim-addon-manager - manager of addons for the Vim editor
vim-common - Vi IMproved - Common files
vim-doc - Vi IMproved - HTML documentation
vim-full - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - full fledged version
vim-gnome - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with GNOME2 GUI
vim-gtk - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with GTK2 GUI
vim-gui-common - Vi IMproved - Common GUI files
vim-latexsuite - View, edit and compile LaTeX documents from within vim
vim-lesstif - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with LessTif GUI
vim-perl - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with Perl support
vim-python - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with Python support
vim-ruby - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with Ruby support
vim-runtime - Vi IMproved - Runtime files
vim-scripts - plugins for vim, adding bells and whistles
vim-syntax-gtk - Syntax files to highlight gtk+ keywords in vim
vim-tcl - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - with TCL support
vim-tiny - Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - compact version
vim-vimoutliner - script for building an outline editor on top of Vim
vimhelp-fr - Vi IMproved - Documentation files (French translation)