[RFC] Repository layout change / Zmiana układu repo

Jan Rekorajski baggins at sith.mimuw.edu.pl
Mon May 14 00:55:32 CEST 2007

On Sun, 13 May 2007, Radoslaw Zielinski wrote:

> Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> [13-05-2007 23:09]:
> > On 5/13/07, Radoslaw Zielinski <radek at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> > > Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> [13-05-2007 21:58]:
> > > Why what?
> > Why do you believe all RCS tools suck?
>
> Because I haven't seen one that doesn't.

I agree here, they just do it diffrent ways ;)

> > > Off the top of my head:
> > >  - excessive metadata (CVS/Entries is just a few dozen bytes per file)
> > Disk space is cheap.
>
> That's no reason for wasting it.  Two copies + metadata in case of
> SVN is over the line (one copy with SVK).

Come on, the repo will not magically grow by enormous amounts,

[baggins at sith repo]$ du -hsc SOURCES SPECS ; du -hs packages
183M    SOURCES
64M     SPECS
246M    total
436M    packages

And the size increase is mainly because of 1) below.

> > >  - $Log$
> > No need for it as rpm can build the log from the SVN log output.
>
> svn log is an online operation.

Yeah, svn sucks here. But VCS change is for another time.

> > > If you know the answer (or so you think), what's the point of asking?
> > You didn't provide any real life issues and all that were raised on
> > this list could easily be solved with a small potion of bash magic.
>
> I'll wait for the proponents of the change to provide the `real life
> issues' which would disappear.  I mean, the ones which can't be solved
> with bash magic.

1) files that belong to more than one package, you either have to _know_
   the involved packages and keep them synchronized or you will have a mess
2) orphans, we have ~900 files in SOURCES that don't belong to any
   package currently
3) guesswork in case you work with more packages at once or with the
   whole repo - hmm, file adfgasdfgda.patch does belong to what package?

And those were just everyday, common issues.

Janek
--
Jan Rekorajski            |  ALL SUSPECTS ARE GUILTY. PERIOD!
baggins<at>mimuw.edu.pl   |  OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE SUSPECTS, WOULD THEY?