Help with rpm anyone?

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Wed May 23 15:05:31 CEST 2007

I was thinking about adding yum to the set of supported package
managers. As opposed to poldek, it is still maintained and currently
allows a nice setup where a system daemon syncs with repos in the
background while notifying possible clients over DBUS that there are
updates available. This certainly fits a desktop installation.

The problem I currently have is yum 3.2.0 gives me the following:

[patrys at meaw ~]$ yum --help
error: Unable to open /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc for reading: No such file or directory.
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in <module>
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 82, in main
    base.getOptionsConfig(args)
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 146, in getOptionsConfig
    errorlevel=opts.errorlevel)
  File "/usr/share/python2.5/site-packages/../site-packages/yum/__init__.py",
line 153, in _getConfig
  File "/usr/share/python2.5/site-packages/../site-packages/yum/config.py",
line 601, in readMainConfig
  File "/usr/share/python2.5/site-packages/../site-packages/yum/config.py",
line 664, in _getsysver
TypeError: rpmdb open failed

The first two messages seem to be produced by either python-rpm or
librpm. I am not sure how to debug that (strace does not show anything
obvious and I'd like to refrain from debugging a library using gdb).

Please help :)

--
Patryk Zawadzki
Generated Content