Packaging .py files

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Thu Jul 17 00:06:00 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 23:07:38 +0200, Mariusz Mazur wrote:

> Over the years I've grown quite tired of a lot of cases where PLD tries to be

I'm tired too but it is a must have for reliable system.

> smarter then upstream and/or other distros and does something completely
> insignificant differently which results in having to patch up perfectly
> working apps.

These 'perfectly working apps' used to be security holes, functionality
breakers etc.

> On the one hand I've got a lot of stuff to make my life easier
> (hey, vserver out of the box!) and on the other there are those little pesky
> oddities.

If you don't value being The Right Way just use some FC, Debian, Ubuntu
or other.

> Python packaging is one such case.

That's one I don't care for much.

> (Others would be e.g. /bin/sh)

Yeah, let's use fucked up bash. The next step would be to use FC spec
files and simple package - * instead of file listings in subpackages.
The end of this road is even much simplier - ./configure; make; make
install.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>