TeXLive

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri Nov 28 18:54:02 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Zsolt Udvari <udvzsolt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I want to create texlive.spec, and it's under developing. I use the
> tetex.spec as the beginning, but I've a question: should I split more
> subpackages the texlive package? What I think: the style-files,
> documentclass-files, e.g. exam.cls put into texlive-latex-exam, etc.
> When you think it, I make it. Imho it would be better (nearer to
> "pld-philosphy": http://www.pld-linux.org/Features -> Micropackages).

Since tetex is unmaintained we will certainly need TeXLive at one
point or another. I suggest you make the package split however you
feel is appropriate, add necessary obsoletes and just commit it.
Others will have their chance to improve upon your work if they feel
that's necessary before migrating PLD to the new TeX. Currently the
tetex-* package tree in PLD is huge and there is no point in splitting
"just because we can".

I'm sure nobody will shoot you for doing your part even if others
don't agree with the subpackages you propose :)

--
Patryk Zawadzki