packages: adapter - use less only if terminal is to short

Przemyslaw Iskra sparky at pld-linux.org
Tue Dec 1 11:15:39 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 10:00:43AM +0200, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 04:39:48 sparky wrote:

> resize is x11/xorg dep, and can be missing on some systems.
>
> use stty size instead:
> set -- $(stty size)
>
> > +       if [ $l -gt $LINES ]; then
> > +               diffcol $1 | less -r
> > +       else
> > +               diffcol $1
> > +       fi
> > +}
>
> why you just don't set "less -E" ?
>
> and rather set it privately in $LESS, as i personally do expect the "q" to be
> input, and if sometimes it's not input, the "q" might go to wrong place.

oh, soosh.

I personally consider very annoying not being able to see what I'm
accepting -- there are terminals, like gnome-terminal, which switch
buffers for normal and ncurses-based operation, so after I exit less, or
it exists for me (in case of -E or -F), I'm unnable to see the text
anymore.
Having to press "q" is annoying as well.
And lines to long for the terminal get very messy.

So I added PAGER variable, less -r is the default unless you have it
predefined in your environment.

$ cat ~/.adapterrc
PAGER="cat"

--