Th: dropping athlon and maybe deprecating ppc?

Przemyslaw Iskra sparky at pld-linux.org
Tue Mar 10 00:10:52 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 10:41:12PM +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> I'm considering dropping athlon architecture since I see no real gain over
> i686. athlon would be deleted from ftp and athlon->i686 symlink created.

Personally I use "athlon", but for binary crap only, which is built for
i386/i586 anyways, so I'm OK with dropping it.

> The other platform is ppc. There is unforuntately close to zero developers
> solving ppc related bugs :-( ppc would be moved to unsupported or something
> like unofficial sparc (AIDA) as seen on ftp. Someone would have to step in to
> maintain this.

Even tho I'm not very acrive (lately), I could step up as ppc maintainer
when it becomes AIDA.

I could be fixing the packages I use, or if someone asks me nicely to
fix some (payment in goats no longer accepted). All the packages that
build cleanly on main th archs and have no history of being problematic
on powerpc would be send to ppc builder as well. If some package starts
to give problems and there would be noone to fix it, it would be
banned from ppc builder and last package in main repository would be
kept until its bependencies become broken. Then it would be deleted from
main without prior warning.

What you think about such solution ?

--
 ____  Sparky{PI] -- Przemyslaw _  ___  _  _  ........... LANG...Pl..Ca..Es..En