Th: dropping athlon and maybe deprecating ppc?

Pawel Golaszewski blues at pld-linux.org
Tue Mar 10 10:02:30 CET 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> I'm considering dropping athlon architecture since I see no real gain
> over i686. athlon would be deleted from ftp and athlon->i686 symlink
> created.

Bad idea this way. It will destroy many systems (look at perl dirs).
poldek:/all-avail> rsearch -f /i686/
Przeszukiwanie pakietów..........................................zrobione.
[...]
367 package(s) found.

Anyway - at least /etc/rpm/platform has to be fixed.

In athlon dir should stay only rpm package which will make all the
required changes:
- /etc/rpm/platform
- poldek sources fixes
- something with patckages arch-dependant (paths, some hardcoded things).

If we will make some nice way to do arch-switch it will be prepared for
future moves