Is there a merged git repository?

Kacper Kornet draenog at pld-linux.org
Fri Aug 10 13:58:06 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 02:03:24PM +0300, Caleb Maclennan wrote:
> Is there any place where the entire PLD git repository can be cloned
> as single repository?

Not right now.

> I realize this would be a read-only thing, but
> the multiple repository layout is problematic for some things such as
> the code and commiter analysis done by sites like Ohloh
> (https://www.ohloh.net/p/pld-linux).

Digression.  You know that such statistic are flawed. For example the
biggest patches in kernel package are kernel-grsec_full.patch
kernel-reiser4.patch which are by 4 orders of magnitude large then the
typical patch in other repositories. And the authors of the commits to
those two files are probably not actual authors of patches.

> The slug.py script is able to automate the cloning of the entire
> package set, but this does't work for the above. There is also the
> flat SPECS repository, but this doesn't include all the code in
> patches and supporting files.  Also the commits show up as all being
> made by one author "git".

Moreover it represents only state of master branch. It was thought as
tool to grep all SPECS not to generate statistics. So it is a snapshot
of all SPECS from master branch committed not more often than every 5
minutes. I can add commits in the real time but they would be authored
by person performing push. And it would be snapshots at push boundaries.
Change to boundaries at individual level requires a little more effort
which I don't think is justifiable.

For statistic purpose maybe you will find useful
git://git.pld-linux.org/Refs repository. It gives information who pushed
changes to which packakge and branch.

> Is it possible to setup access to the packages directory as a
> repository with all the individual repositories listed as sub-modules?

Could the super repo be a static one or the actual sha1 of submodules
recorded in it would have to reflect the actual sha1 of branches in
packages? I'm asking as I don't know how your statistic tools work or
for what other purposes you want to use this super repo.

--
 Kacper