%changelog not in descending chronological order

Kacper Kornet draenog at pld-linux.org
Tue Jul 17 02:17:59 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 01:54:40AM +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:02:58AM +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> > But that would be not 'totally unordered'.
> > GIT history is just not linear

> It's the different history: take %changelog as NEWS
> and commit messages as CHANGELOG.  The latter is for
> developers while the former is for users (sysadmins).

> And for a given package there's sense to make sure
> its git history *is* linear.

> See e.g. http://git.altlinux.org/gears/r/rpm.git
> (which is an archived version of what got into packages
> built -- while individual maintainers can have widely
> different intermediate trees published, the inheritance
> is enforced by the build system).

Could you elaborate a little more how do you do it? I see that changelog
entries are still present in spec files, and they are generated from
commitlogs of tagged commits. But how does these commitlogs are
generated. Are they some short of condensed 'git log' from the last tag?
And how to you force that the tagged commits are in chronological order?

--
  Kacper