GRUB2 changes, introducing EFI

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Sat Oct 27 22:56:54 CEST 2012

Hello,

I wanted to boot my servers natively, from UEFI, instead of BIOS
compatibility mode. I wanted to use GRUB for that, but found out GRUB2
in PLD lacks EFI support.

First I have updated out grub2.spec from version 1.99 to 2.00, then
I have started adding EFI support. For that I have removed some patches
that were moving grub installed files from /boot/grub/${platform} to /lib.
That was IMHO wrong because:
1. only one platform could be installed (PC in this case, so no place
for EFI)
2. the /boot partition would be cluttered with GRUB modules even if the
GRUB bootloader was not actually installed (via grub-install).

I have finally managed to boot my server from this new grub2 package,
both in legacy BIOS mode and via UEFI, but the changes I have introduced
could potentially break some existing installations.

Anybody using GRUB2, please test the new grub2-2.00-0.1 package.

Please note: now the 'grub2' package does not contain any platform
files. You have to install grub2-pc (or grub2-efi) too.

Greets,
        Jacek

P.S. I have installed the new grub2 on my laptop too… I hope it will
boot tomorrow ;)