[packages/chromium-browser] requires _XGetRequest

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Wed Feb 13 19:13:22 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 18:23:10 +0200, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

>> Issue is more global - every application/library that uses X11's
>> GetReq and similar macros starts to require libX11 >= 1.4.99
>> when it's built with libX11 >= 1.4.99.
>>
> and it's more global than this: this happens to be the case with other
> gnomeish libs as well: glib, gtk+2....

Well, this is even more global /in general/;) It happens in various libs that are
enhanced, I recall doing a few commits like this in the past.
Ideally, these R might be removed when sover is bumped, making particular symbol
irrevelant as lib would be upgraded anyway.

There is no efficient mechanism to track such dependencies (->dependency
hell) unless one does 'upgrade *' and evades this problem (or something
else just triggers appropriate update).

> could this be addressed by rpm side?
> %requires_eq is not the solution i'm seeking, as that would cause
> pointless rebuilds and upgrades if nothing has changed between versions.

Only by creating (manually) a database with such 'enhancements'. Every
package that gets rebuild in environment having listed libraries should
automatically get specified R.

But I think it's not worth it - any case we spot (they are really rare)
have big chances to be already late and some packages will alredy be
rebuilded.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>