glibc-localedb-all for i686 and x86_64

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Tue Jun 24 17:40:14 CEST 2014

On Jun 24, 2014, at 6:57 AM, Jacek Konieczny <jajcus at jajcus.net> wrote:

> I think I can even move the data to /usr/share and make
> glibc-localedb-all a noarch package.

Using /usr/share sounds like a great idea if endianness
can be handled.

> On the other hand… I am still curious why some packages are replaced why
> other can be installed simultaneously for two architectures.

I can hazard a guess … RPM “prefers” one arch over
another if there are two packages with the same name.

The reason for the “preference” for, say, /bin/ls, is this
	The behavior of the executable doesn’t depend on the arch.

The “preference” choice breaks down when extended beyond
executables to packages like localedb that may (or may not) be
affected/tainted by some arch property like endianness. The
choice there is undecidable, but can be handled (like libraries)
by installing content on arch dependent paths.

hth

73 de Jeff