[packages/file] - this version breaks rpmbuild, good testcase is gnome-initial-setup package - rel 1.1

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Mon Apr 18 10:06:32 CEST 2016

On Apr 17, 2016, at 9:44 AM, Jan Rękorajski wrote:

> I removed it from ftp and downgraded on builders, building
> gnome-initial-setup or jbig2dec causes rpm to hang indefinitely on
> "processing files" step.

The coupling between rpmbuild <-> file is through /etc/magic rules
(whatever path is used these days) and libmagic.

One way to break the coupling is to put a minimalistic/deterministic
copy of magic in /usr/lib/rpm/magic and reconfigure the macro used
to find the magic file path.

Since identifier strings from /etc/magic end up in *.rpm headers,
and invokes helper scripts based on magic keywords,
there are other "reproducible build" reasons to internalize a
minimalistic/deterministic portable version of /etc/magic.

Should rpm catty a copy of magic in /usr/lib/rpm/magic?

73 de Jeff