[packages/open-vm-tools] we don't provide vmxnet module, drop support for it

Adam Golebiowski adamg at pld-linux.org
Sun Sep 9 19:47:19 CEST 2018

On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 01:23:45PM +0200, Jan Palus wrote:
> On 02.09.2018 18:06, adamg wrote:
> > commit 21d43020dfd7dc915c941739408c48f91b9681f5
> > Author: Adam Gołębiowski <adamg at pld-linux.org>
> > Date:   Sun Sep 2 18:03:55 2018 +0200
> >
> >     we don't provide vmxnet module, drop support for it
>
> I'm not using PLD in VMware VM anymore, but please keep in mind vmxnet module is
> now part of mainline kernel, though apparently it's called vmxnet3 nowadays.

I know, but I don't think we should unconditionally load this module and
let the user handle it on his own (for example with modprobe.conf
entry).

After all, this is just network card module, how does this differ
from igb, e1000e or 8139too ?

At the same time we could wonder whether this init should modprobe
vmw_pvscsi - if this is your rootfs device, than you have this already
loaded, if not than either you don't need it (using different device
type), or have unusual setup that you handle with care anyway.

In fact, I think I'll drop vmw_pvscsi part as well.

adamg