[packages/libupnp1.6] compatibility package for legacy, unmaintained apps

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Sat Oct 24 10:08:41 CEST 2020

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020, Jan Palus wrote:

> On 23.10.2020 14:16, Jan Rękorajski via pld-devel-en wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Aug 2020, atler wrote:
> >
> > > commit 6e87a2d1330eca8358a494c62b4e85986b95a50b
> > > Author: Jan Palus <atler at pld-linux.org>
> > > Date:   Thu Aug 27 18:35:24 2020 +0200
> > >
> > >     compatibility package for legacy, unmaintained apps
> > >
> > >  libupnp.spec => libupnp1.6.spec | 32 ++++++++++++++++++--------------
> > >  1 file changed, 18 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)
> >
> > Please try to avoid creating packages like these. Especially for just 3
> > other packages. Fixing those dependant packages seems quite easy, and
> > it's better than keeping outdated libs.
>
> Respectfully disagreed. I had a quick look into porting effort back than
> and it turned out it would take way more time than I'm willing to spend
> on ancient packages I don't care about. Maintenance-effort-wise I'd say
> either of:
>
>   * drop ancient packages
>   * keep ancient versions of dependencies
>
> is the way to go. With patches in place we have to maintain them with
> every new libupnp release.

Dropping such stuff or disabling broken functionality is my preferred solution :)

A short email to the list would suffice with a note that packages X Y Z are
too old and if anyone cares they should update them.

--
Jan Rękorajski                    | PLD/Linux
SysAdm | baggins<at>pld-linux.org | http://www.pld-linux.org/