Keeping multiple kernels

Pawel A. Gajda mis at k2.net.pl
Sun Nov 6 23:58:48 CET 2005

Sunday 06/11/2005 20:32:16, Lloyd Zusman:
> Thank you for this complete and helpful explanation.  I think I now
> understand, but I want to make sure that I do.  In order to achieve
> what I want to do with kernels, is this the correct sequence of events?
>
> 1.  Make sure that "hold = kernel*" is set.
>
> 2.  Periodically do a "poldek --upgrade-dist".
>
> 3.  After this, use "llu" or "llU" as you describe below, in
>     order to tell me whether there is a new kernel.
>
> 4.  If I see that there is indeed a new kernel, then use the
>     "poldek -i kernel" or "poldek -i kernel-smp" command to
>     install it.
>
> Did I get this right?

Exactly. Frankly "llu" and "llU" needs to be fixed, they for
multiple-installed packages shows their older version as
upgrade-able. For example, if there 2 openssl's installed:

$ rpm -q openssl
openssl-0.9.7d-5
openssl-0.9.7i-1

then "poldek --cmd llu" displays:

available           installed  build date        size
openssl-0.9.7i-1    0.9.7d-5   2005/10/15 18:34  1.4 MB

I'll fix it soon.

You can always check what versions are installed by:
$ poldek --cmd "cd /installed; ls openssl"

> A couple more questions:  does the "poldek --upgrade-dist" command
> actually install new versions of the packages that are not
> held via the "hold" directive?  ... or does it simply download
> the updated packages, thereby requiring me to do a subsequent
> "install -F *" in order to actually install them?

Nope, --upgrade-dist installs packages, no additional "install -F" is
needed.

> And if "hold = kernel*" is set, will "install -F *" ignore any new
> kernels?

Yes, they will be skipped with message like "kernel-version: skip held package"

> Thanks again for all your explanation, and I send you my appreciation
> for this excellent piece of software.

You're welcome :)