Exim pop-before-smtp

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Mon Jan 7 13:34:08 CET 2002

* michael.bartlett at workshare.com <michael.bartlett at workshare.com> [20020107 14:43]: wrote:
> Hi there Wash!

Hello Michael,

> With regards to your comment on the relaying. Somebody needs to do a
> successful POP in order to relay - and then that list gets cleared up every
> 30 minutes. So the "whole internet" can't actually relay in these
> circumstances.

Jeez!! I missed that point of clearing. I withdraw my assertion and profusely
apologize to whoever this touched negatively.

> With regards to your query about starting the server. I assume that you are
> tring to start it from the command line path/to/spop3d right? Solid binds to
> inetd unless you compile it with a special configure option. The way I start
> it is by having this line in my /etc/inetd.conf:
>
> pop3    stream  tcp     nowait.100      root    /usr/libexec/spop3d -d -n
> /var/mailbox/%s/ -t maildir   spop3d

Well, what happens is that I just want to start it without those default args,
especially the -n ; I use the line below:

pop3    stream  tcp     nowait.100      root    /usr/libexec/spop3d	spop3d

I will of course add the -d (for debug??).

I want to use a config file. The default system accounts should have their mail
in /var/mail (e.g user wash == /var/mail/wash). Once I get it working well, I'll
want to change this delivery location to $HOME/wash/Mail.

I also have Virtual domains. The addresses on these have no real system accounts.
The passwords are stored in /etc/virtual/$domain/passwd. Their e-mails are delivered
to /var/spool/virtual/$domain/username. Is there a possibility that solidpop3d
could authenticate against that external file?

> Please note that you will probably want to change the /var/mailbox/ to
> /var/mail and possibly the path to your binary! Then you need to kill -1
> inetd.

That much is fine with me and quite clear. I only wonder how you handle virtual domains
out there. Do you give users on virtual domains system accounts???? If not how do you
authenticate them?

On the MTA side I use Exim and I'll be alright with it. Right now it delivers to /var/mail
and that is what I'd like to test against.

Thank you for your time.

-Wash

S y s t e m s   A d m i n.

--
Odhiambo Washington  <wash at wananchi.com>    "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

++
Do not sleep in a eucalyptus tree tonight.