Wording Improvement to the Concept Page

John Wenger johnwenger at EarthLink.Net
Mon May 28 19:34:51 CEST 2001

Artur Frysiak wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 11:26:56AM -0700, John Wenger wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I just came across your distribution, and I think you are doing
> > impressive work.
> >
> > I would suggest replacing the word "packet" with "package" on the
> > English version of your Concept page.  This should remove one small
> > barrier to comprehension, and might increase slightly your testing
> > rate by English-speaking people.
>
> Thanks for reporting.
> Fixed.
>
> Regards
> --
> Artur Frysiak
> http://www.pld.org.pl/

I don't think that is fixed.  I just checked and the concept page
still uses the word "packet".

The two words "packet" and "package" have different meanings in
English.  "Packet" is used in computing to refer to things such as TCP
packets, UDP packets, etc.

"Package" is used in computing to refer to things such as RPMs and
DEBs, which are collections of programs, etc. which collectively
perform a set of functions on some topic.

I believe that the word "package" should be used on the concept page.
The word "packet" is confusing in this context.

John