Documentation

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl
Mon Aug 12 20:40:20 CEST 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Zilvinas Naujokas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i know that PLD Linux distribution is new, and it needs documentation in
> every language. I want to translate the PLD Linux documentation to
> Lithuanian language. I need a shell and a adress for my work
> http://lithuania.pld.org.pl
>
> If you are interested please reply me.

Yes it interesting but be truely .. PLD documentations need some ground
level work :>

Delegate DNS entry is possible but IMHO it will be much better start work
on some common set documentataion in english and prepare translations to
Polish, Lithuanian and possibly open path for prepare documentaion
for other languages/nations :)

As you probably know we have all resouces stored in cvs repository .. also
resources for main www server are also stored in cvs (it is in:
PLD-doc/PLD_www_res/main on :pserver:cvs at cvs.pld.org.pl:/cvsroot so look
at this).
Noone in PLD team heve direct access to www.pld.org.pl. Simple on main www
server is updated above cvs module from CURRENT tag from crond. It allow
in comfortable way some modifications for this resources also allow
reverte any modification by move back CURRENT tag in cvs resources.

Now main www resources are php which allow automatically choose displayed
language basing on default web browser language but it is not good form.
Best form must alow:

- keep synced versions for diffrent languages,
- produce non-html output (for example printable book or plain ascii),
- separate look&feel and text, text hierarhy,
- main www automation must initialy display all depending on default
  clien web browser settings.

Probably it will be good prepare some (new) engine basing on docbook with
some additional php automations for auto choose language amd/or allow
swith to other languages on each page.

If you want help on prepare template for above be welcome. You will recive
write access to cvs resources which will allow you work with as on this
resoureces for allow maintain this without special focusing any language
version :)

Summarize: we still lacks some documentalists with also some knowledge on
sgml/docbook and (limited) php.

kloczek