NLS just in polish?

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl
Sun Jun 30 11:29:06 CEST 2002

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 mdoering at mucl.de wrote:

> Hi!
>
> PLD seems to be a good distribution. I would like to use it. But is
> documentation just in polish, or in polish language too? I'm german. Other
> distributions provide many languages.

It supports other languages like in other distribution and/or on much
better level (more grained tagging files by %lang() macros on packages
spec level so during instalation you can choose for install support only
for few languages and in case PLD on this will be installed or not much
more files than in other distros).
Dor example we do not provides man-pages-de package but each package have
all (known and found in diffrent places) translated man pages.

Example:
$ rpm -ql tar | grep man
/usr/share/man/de/man1/tar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/es/man1/tar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/fi/man1/tar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/fr/man1/tar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/hu/man1/tar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/id/man1/tar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/it/man1/tar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/ja/man1/tar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/nl/man1/tar.1.gz
/usr/share/man/pl/man1/tar.1.gz

If during instalation you will choose install only "de" language from
above list will be installed only /usr/share/man/man1/tar.1.gz and
/usr/share/man/de/man1/tar.1.gz. In PLD many packages is prepared in the
same way as above example so support for other languages (not only Polish
and German) is much better prepared than in other distributions.

German is well suited in PLD (for example it have de translation in
messages in PLD init scripts messages (rc-scripts package).
So if you will put in /etc/sysconfig/i18n::LANG=de_DE you will ssee during
system startup messages in german :)

kloczek