what am i missing ?

Santhosh Joseph sanjos at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 11 06:57:33 CET 2003

Hi,

I downloaded all the 4 cd's of pld-ra and had it installed on my test
machine. I  was impressed by the distro and the amount of software that
came on the CD's.  Poldec is a great piece of software :)
However, i had some  problems when i tried to install the same cd set on
another system.

Hardware configuration

P III -500, Intel SE-440BX2 mother board and 20 GB HDD

Now, on booting from the CD, i could get the installer to proceed to the
disk partitioning menu. Here the partition tool always complained that
it cannot detect the partitions on my disk ! I beleive this is due to
some problem with parted that pld uses for disk partitioning and i
eneded up loosing all my partitions ! I have had problems with Knoppix
Live CD as well  and Knoppix would never detect the harddrive,  and i
think knoppix too uses gnu parted.

Why does pld use gnu parted instead of  cfdisk or even the tradional
fdisk ?

Is there anyway i can overcome this problem ?

Thanks
Bye
Santhosh Joseph