PLD RescueCD, network boot, HOW?

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 2 23:45:11 CET 2004

Here

  http://rescuecd.pld-linux.org/

you say:

PLD RescueCD can be booted via:

    Bootable CD-ROM (ATAPI,SCSI,USB - BIOS permitting)
    Simple boot floppy
    IDE/SCSI/USB hard disk
    USB Pendrive
    Remote Network Boot via PXE <-----------------

How does one do the remote network boot from the CD???

I have a Mandrake headnode (fileserver) that is
configured to load 20 compute nodes with systemimager, so all
the PXE, dhcp, tftpd, etc. bits are already in place.

Presumably something like this is required to start PLD RescueCD:

1.  Put the CD in the headnode drive and mount it.
2.  export the mounted cd

(Alternateively:  since PLD rescue is small, leave PLD rescue
as an iso file, mount it, and export that mount point.)

3.  modify /etc/dhcpd.conf to boot pxelinux for some node
4.  /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd restart
5.  modify /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
      ???HOW???  Have to provide a boot entry for pxelinux, this
      is the part I have no idea how to do.
6.  reboot that compute node, it comes up with PLD
7.  login via ssh or rsh
      default password and account???
      default root password???

Basically I just need the node in question to come up with sshd
or rshd running to support a login over the net so that files
can be moved, edited, and disk maybe repartitioned or tested.
boel in systemimager has worked for rebuilding nodes from images
but its network capabilities are limited and yesterday
I ran into a situation where data had to be moved off a node
before it was rebuilt - boel couldn't do that easily since it
didn't have rsh, rcp, ssh, etc.  The compute nodes do have
little graphics cards but it would be better if PLD didn't
start up X11 since it generally won't be used.  The compute
nodes get their addresses from DHCP (192.168.1.xxx).

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu