improper use of automake in Tux Typing

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue Aug 7 20:21:38 CEST 2001

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 09:56:22AM +0000, Samuel Hart wrote:
> Actually, the problem stems from the fact that the project has been developed
> primarily in the KDevelop 1.x series. KDevelop has a nasty habit of
> commandering your project's build process (which is good if you don't
> understand autoconf|make, which I didn't when I started the project, but is
> bad if you start having good-sized projects).
That's what I thought. But I was thinking "kdevelop could not bu such
stupit so it don't allow to make proper Makefile.am". It seems I was
wrong. :-(

[...]
> We have actually had Makefile.am patches submitted to use since version
> 0.5... but we could never use them because we also want to use KDevelop.
So I am not the first :-)

> Actually, the packagers that have an even harder time than RPM makers is
> those making DEB packages (since Debian has a very strict file standard that
> most other distros don't have).
In our distro we have nearly such strict rules as Debian has. The mess
in other RPM distributions is one of reasons why we are doing our own
one.

> Do you mean the gameplay, or things like the title-screen?
The one, and the other :-)

> If it's the gameplay, we actually slowed it down because we had so many
> people complaining their kids couldn't play it:
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/8561/2001/7/0/6272460/
That's what i thought. But it would be great to have "very hard" mode,
so adults can also enjoy the game :-). Graphics are cute :-)

> If it's the title-screen, then the problem is actually a X server support
> one. We use double-buffering to help speed up the full-surface blits.
> Unfortunately, not all X servers support this ;-) If this is the problem you
> are having, then you may want to try using the "-st"/"--static" option with
> the game.
Hmmmm.... The other solution I have in my mind whould be too much for
this little game (why should there be dependency on OpenGL in it?).
So maybe that's the way it should be :-).

Thanks for quick answer. :-)

Greets,
        Jacek