Problems with x86 installation

Michal Moskal malekith at pld.org.pl
Fri Aug 10 14:22:01 CEST 2001

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 01:38:49PM -0700, Bob Van Cleef wrote:

> Just attempted my first PLD installation.  So far, no good.
>
> I appear to have ended up with some empty partitions...
>
> First problem - /src/PLD/RPMS/packages.dir[.gz] not found

This shouldn't present major problem, since poldek (rpm's installer)
is able to work without if run from local media.

BTW: maybe we can include this file on cdrom, since it speeds up

> Second problem - I tried to customize the partitioning.  I selected
> the following partitions in the installation setup program.
> 	1	/boot		10M
> 	2	/		20%
> 	3	swap		300M
> 	4	/altboot	20%
> 	5	/s1		100% of remaining
>
> I saw the following while running the batch installation script.
>
> running parted -s /dev/hda mkpart logical ext2 7947.160 19092.859
> Error: Invalid argument during seek for write on /dev/hda

Maybe try 99% for /s1? This is possibly bug in parted.

> parted print
>
> 	 ... 0.000 - 19092.937
> 	1     .031 -     7.844	ext2
> 	2    7.844 -  3827....  ext2
> 	3 3827.... -  4126....
> 	4 4126.... - 19092.... extended
> 	5 4126.... -  7946.... logical
>
> I attempted to run parted manually and got the same error.

Could you show fraction from extended partiton? Maybe it took
some space, and therefore it is impossible to make partion
till the exact end of the disk...

--
: Michal ``,/\/\,       '' Moskal    | |            : GCS {C,UL}++++$
:          |    |alekith      @    |)|(| . org . pl : {E--, W, w-,M}-