System Unusable after initial installation.

Bob Van Cleef vancleef at microunity.com
Tue Aug 14 01:44:03 CEST 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Aredridel wrote:

> > 1 - Log in as the normal user:
> >     Things look normal, but no network defined.
> >     Cannot su to root:
> > 	"su: incorrect password"
> >     No error listed in any of the /var/log files...
>
> pam_wheel does not log failures, I noticed, and it is enabled per default.
> If you either add the user to the wheel group or disable pam_wheel in
> /etc/pam.d/su, this will work.

Thanks for the pointer.  I had tried adding the username to the root
group, but that didn't work. Unfortunately, I cannot edit any files, so
this won't help.

> > 3 - Haven't figured out how to go to single user when booting, but by
> >     using "telinit s" I went to single user to see if I could edit
> >     anything.  Not only did I see the same job control issue, but
> >     when it placed my vi process into background mode I lost all
> >     keyboard control, except for CNT/ALT/DEL.
>
> appending "1" to the kernel boot command line should toss you into single
> user mode.

How do you get the kernel boot command line to show?  It appears to jump
directly into booting linux with no delay at the "lilo" prompt.

> I'm not sure on the other issues, but that's what I know so far.

Thanks for the pointer to pam.

> Aredridel

> http://lists.pld.org.pl/

Bob
Bob Van Cleef, Member of Technical Staff         (408) 734-8100
MicroUnity Systems Engineering, Inc.         FAX (408) 734-8136
376 Martin Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95050  vancleef at microunity.com