new patch for kernel

Michal Moskal malekith at pld.org.pl
Mon Feb 19 15:36:40 CET 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 03:12:42PM +0100, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 02:11:13PM +0100, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> > > BTW. Anyone found some information how to use FB if was kompiled to module
> > > ?
> > modprobe the_module
> >
> > But this won't fork for VesaFB, as Vesa videomode can be only initialised
> > on startup (before the kernel enters protected mode).
>
> Know You why and/or is it bug or facture in current VesaFB code ?

Nope. It's general problem with vesa-anything. You can
only set mode when in 16-bit. I don't think they will fixit
(svgalib handles it somewhat).

> > So the VesaFB and all modules needed by it must be compiled into kernel
> > (now some parts are compiled as modules, so when vesa mode is enabled in
> > lilo.conf kernel won't start!). Other frame-buffer drivers can (and IMHO should)
> > be compiled as modules (but you won't get boot logo on those frame-buffers).
>
> I have also problems with initialize FB from module on sparc console :>

Does sparc have text console? Wow! I thought it only works
with gfx mode...

--
                        Michał Moskal <malekith at pld.org.pl>

A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.

FBI Ortega nuclear domestic disruption Ft. Meade Khaddafi
Legion of Doom Ft. Bragg North Korea Delta Force
Legion of Doom Kennedy SDI kibo
$400 million in gold bullion SEAL Team 6 plutonium NSA kibo
Albanian