new patch for kernel

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Mon Feb 19 15:54:30 CET 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 03:41:21PM +0100, Michal Margula wrote:
> [poniedziałek, 19 luty 2001], Jacek Konieczny napisał(a):
>
> > It is not a bug. That is how it works.
> > VESA is a BIOS extension designed to be used from DOS, not multitasking OS
> > using i386 "protected mode". There are some VESA protected-mode extensions,
> > but they are not very reliable.
> > In fact VESA-FB is a hack --- extension to the "VGA video-mode selection".
> > The latter uses standard PC BIOS calls to setup video modes on startup.
> > When the kernel is running VIDEO-BIOS practically is not available, and cannot
> > be raliably used.
>
> BTW: I would like to ask. How to use FB on S3 Virge properly? I want to know
> because svgalib behaves funny
Eg.:
	line: "mode=0x305" in /etc/lilo.conf

But latest PLD 2.2.18 kernel is broken (some things which should be in kernel
gone to modules). Earlier kernels worked.

There is more description in Documentation/fb directory in kernel source tree.
BTW. Why the documetation from kernel is not in /usr/share/doc/kernel-*?

Greets,
	Jacek