rc-boot

Lukas Dobrek dobrek at itp.uni-hannover.de
Thu May 3 21:27:26 CEST 2001

I am writing here becouse I need an advise. As some of you
already know I wrote something called rc-boot. Let me briefly
explain what it is. rc-boot is a script which should depending on
some very simple config files prepere config file for a bootloader.
rc-boot provides the function writen in shell called rc_boot_config
which using some easy for authomatic generation config files do the
whole job. Acctualy there are two souch a functions, one for lilo another
one for grub. The problem is how to distribuate this. I spend quite
a long time on quarrell with Tomasz K. And we see two different approaches.
Let me explain them:

1. Approach of Tomasz K. Add this scripts directly to packages with bootloaders.
   Nice and simple but in this case a ppl which don't whant to use rc-boot will
   have occupied 2KB of disk spce with absolutely useles script.

The reason why I don't like in this approach are difficoulties in maintainig all this stuff.
After any changes in rc-boot one have to send to builders lilo, grub, and don't forget
to add new sources to this files. And ofcourse this posibly useless scripts which comes
together with bootloader.

2. My idea is to provide two additional packages like rc-boot-grub and rc-boot-lilo. Each of them
   contains the rc-boot script. They conflicts one with the other and one of them no metter
   which oneis required by kernel package.

The problem is in dependences this what user should choose is
the kind of bootloader and the rest should come from deps. And I don't really know how to
solve it. It could be done in following way: bouth of packages provides some virtual functionality
lets call it  rc-boot-automat. kernel requires rc-boot-automat, grub conflicts with rc-boot-lilo and
lilo conflicts with rc-boot-grub. Bot I don't really know if it is a good solution.

I appreciate any comments.

Best Regards
Lukasz Dobrek

--