packages groups

Michal Moskal malekith at pld.org.pl
Thu May 10 12:04:56 CEST 2001

As you might know we (klakier + me) are working on non-interactive
(batch) installer for PLD. One can imagine, that one of most imporatant
parts of system installation is selecting packages. As there are >2k
packages in PLD, selecting them by hand is a bit hard (and boring).
So there is idea to divide packages into groups. It's important
to understand how this groups are diffrent from RPM spec's Group: field.
For example: there are several shells but we don't want them all in
base. We also don't want installation group `shells'. Of course this
kind of selection is highly subjective, but hey! what's rpm -e for?

I will include list done so far here, so we can easly dicuss inclusion
of some packages, and layout of groups. I hope I'll get enough feedback
to construct final version of this list, as it is *required* to finish
installer...

---------- CUT ---------
# syntax
#
# "*" (" ")* ( "1" | "0" ) (" ")* shortname (" ")* longname "\n"
#   this line describes packages group, shortname should contain just [a-z0-9_]+
#   1 is for default yes, 0 for no.
# package "\n"
#   simply package in group
# "!" package "\n"
#   optinal package (default yes)
# "@" (package (" ")* )+
#   select one of packages
# ("@!" | "!@") (package (" ")* )+
#   select one of packages or none
#
# NOTE: that '-' in shortname is not allowed. use '_'.
#
# example follows:

* 1 base Base packages
@lilo grub
@syslog syslog-ng
FHS
MAKEDEV
SysVinit
basesystem
bdflush
chkconfig
console-data
console-tools
cpio
cracklib
cracklib-dicts
db1
db3
dev
diffutils
e2fsprogs
file
fileutils
findutils
fix-info-dir
ftp
geninitrd
genromfs
gettext
glibc
grep
groff
gzip
iproute2
iputils
iputils-ping
issue
kernel
klogd
less
libcap
libpcap
libstdc++
libwrap
localedb-src
login
logrotate
losetup
mailx
make
mawk
mingetty
mktemp
modutils
mount
nc
net-tools
openssl
pam
pcre
pdksh
popt
procps
psmisc
rc-scripts
rpm
rpm-utils
sed
setserial
setup
sh-utils
shadow
sharutils
stat
tar
tcp_wrappers
tcpdump
telnet
terminfo
textutils
time
utempter
util-linux
vim-static
which
zlib

* 0 extras1 Not essential, but very often needed.
!apmd
!dhcpcd
bind-utils
bzip2
pinfo
info
man
man-pages
ncompress
open
readline
unzip
zip
mc
vim
vim-rt
slocate

* 0 devel_basic Basic programs needed for compilation.
glibc-devel
autoconf
automake
bison
cpp
!cproto
ctags
cvs
gcc
make
binutils
flex
gperf
kernel-headers
!gcc-c++
!objc
!gcc-objc
patch
diffutils
m4
cpp

* 0 devel_devel Packages needed for real development.
gdb
lcc
ElectricFence
ltrace
strace
!ddd
diffstat
doxygen
indent
nasm
!smalltalk

* 0 java Packages needed for JAVA development.
@ibm-java kaffe
jikes
!gcc-java

* 0 home_made_kernel Packages to build the kernel
kernel-sources
egcs
ncurses-devel
bin86

* 0 games_nox Textmode games
adom
bsd-games
fortune-mod
fortune-mod-bofh-excuses

* 0 games_svga Games for SVGAlib
linberto

* 0 games_x Games for X.
xbill
prboom
xpenguins
xsnow
bzflag

* 0 gnome_basic Basic part of GNOME
gnome-core
XXX

* 0 gnome_extras Addons for GNOME
!XXX
XXX

* 0 wmaker_basic Basic part of WindowMaker
WindowMaker

* 0 wmaker_extras Addons for WindowMaker
!XXX
XXX

# other: sgml/docbook stuff, x?emacs, server(ftp|http|??), gimp, xmms
# avi* [maybe not - licensing ...], MTA (has to be selected by user,
# when he selects Mutt, etc), IRC........
# +whatever you can imagine

--
: Michal ``,/\/\,       '' Moskal    | |            : GCS {C,UL}++++$
:          |    |alekith      @    |)|(| . org . pl : {E--, W, w-,M}-