packages groups

Rafał Kleger-Rudomin klakier at pld.org.pl
Thu May 10 23:45:26 CEST 2001

GoTaR <gotar at priv.onet.pl> writes:

> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 15:59:56 +0200, Rafał Kleger-Rudomin wrote:
>
> > It is still very popular as a standard to distribute
> > platform-independent archives. It provides reasonable way to share
> > archives with Windows world.  Do not remove.
>
> I don't agree. WinZip(TM) understands .tar.gz format thus using zip
> archives is, in my opinion, obsolete.

Nevertheless, much more programs understand old zip.

Anyway, I do not worry about interchanging files between two parties that could
agree on the file format (e.g. me and my Win friends)

The problem is that a lot of files and software packages around net
are provided in zip already. For files distributed both for Win and
Unix users, old zip is common (and reasonable) choose to avoid
providing separate archives.

Regards,
Rafal

--