packages groups

GoTaR gotar at priv0.onet.pl
Fri May 11 13:36:16 CEST 2001

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 23:45:26 +0200, Rafał Kleger-Rudomin wrote:

> > I don't agree. WinZip(TM) understands .tar.gz format thus using zip
> > archives is, in my opinion, obsolete.
>
> Nevertheless, much more programs understand old zip.

Hey and what about Intel(R) and it's compatibility politics!? 640KB
should be enough for everyone! A20 gate, fucked up memory architecture
on PC platfors... - these are examples of backward compatibility with
archaic issues...
Nevertheless ;> - ain't forget 'bout _traditional_ unices .Z archs;P

> Anyway, I do not worry about interchanging files between two parties that could
> agree on the file format (e.g. me and my Win friends)

So what's the problem?

> The problem is that a lot of files and software packages around net
> are provided in zip already. For files distributed both for Win and
> Unix users, old zip is common (and reasonable) choose to avoid
> providing separate archives.

Yeah, so there is still unzip. We don't need to support creating such
archs and if one wants to do that (how many will!?) he still can install
apprioprate package.
On the gripping hand - ok, let's add zip, rar (I'm using it to share
files with dos comunity, probably many folks do), StarOffice (sharing
papers with win users), TeX (sharing papers with unix users) and many
many others - it's not strange, that most of the packages are being used
somwhere sometimes by someone, but it doesn't mean that we should add
all of them to the standard instalation. Much more people would use
avifile than zip and I think it's not groundless opinion.

cya

--
GoTaR <gotar at priv0.onet.pl>