[PR] resume, my proposal

Blues blues at ds6.pg.gda.pl
Tue Feb 19 18:21:46 CET 2002

Lets rock ;)

(I'll write only that that I would like to see, not how should it look
like, sorry...). my english... ech...

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Michal Moskal wrote:
> #v+
> What is PLD?
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> PLD is Linux distribution developed by pack of geeks, mainly in Poland
> (however this changes slowly). PLD stands for PLD Linux Distribution.

Version from dobrek(TM) is better, I think... :)

> How is PLD different from other Linux distributions?
>
> In PLD one does, what one needs, or wants to do. This simple fact multiplied
> by number of developers involved gives good picture how does PLD look like.

This allows to maximize efficency of humans work - I can do something well
- I'll make it everywhere, not only in my package. Thats why many things
is standarized, besides not big TEAM.

* quality of packages and init-scripts - we are the best :)

> * Packages very often comes in sensible default configuration, with bunch
>   of useful patches applied -- that's because packagers use packages
>   themselves very extensively.
>
> * PLD has the best IPv6 support among all Linux distributions (and yes,
>   that's because some of us are using it)

More about that - this is really our STRONG point...

cite from kloczkish long letter(TM) :)

> [[mention rc-scripts, initrd, localization issues (%lang() stuff),
>   -static, -devel, gziping mans/docs, several choices of
>   inetd/MTA/finger/ftp/whatever, and other stuff here]]

 * we try to make possibly small rpm packages. This allow to install that
what user exactly wants to. Devel stuff is separated -devel and -static
part.

* we do not prefer any specyfic MTA, ftpd, whatever in default
configuration. Because of Obsoletes/Provides mechanism there is
possibility to provide almoust automatic change concurency daemons (k...a
jak to napisać po en.?? )

> * In general PLD is very sysadmin friendly, several choices of crucial
>   servers is one example, highly modularized kernel from distribution
>   suitable for most machines is another (sysadmins with 20+ machines tends
>   not to bother compiling kernel over and over again :^)
>   [[need some more examples]]

few words about BSP, maybe? :) About size of initrd?

> * PLD is also very developer friendly. There are compilers and other
>   development tools for wide variety of languages. This includes such
>   "standard" things like C (three compilers available), C++, Perl or
>   Python, but also some less standard things like two implementations
>   of SML and Prolog, OCaml with several utility programs and libraries
>   and even experimental compilers, like Cyclone or Ksi.  As with other
>   packages they are often much better packaged then in other distribution,
>   especially with respect to splitting them into subpackages.

 * way of development - everithing is driven by CVS. This allows to share
   work and to make better product...

> Some other features.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> It is common in PLD to simplify and cleanup things.  We have very strict
> packaging standards. However it goes far beyond that.  Installing package
> in PLD is often enough to make it work in some default configuration. For
> example installing telnetd or cvs-pserver adds it to configuration of
> current inetd server (this is done through rc-inetd common interface to
> all inetd servers in PLD), installing kernel generates initrd image for
> it (with geninitrd script), adds it to current bootloader configuration
> (through rc-boot interface), and reinstalls bootloader.

more about rc-whatever - this is good and we should talk a lot about it...

> PLD is fully prepared for automatic system upgrade. We supply indexes
> for RPM's apt-get port, we also have other upgrade tool, named poldek,
> with similar functionality.
>
> Common myths about PLD.
>
> PLD is not Polish Linux Distribution, nor Polished, or even Polish(ed).
> Specifically it means that system won't talk to you in Polish, if you
> won't instruct it to. It can also speak other languages, beside English
> and Polish.

We want to have all possible language supports.

--
pozdr.  Paweł Gołaszewski