postgresql

wrobell wrobell at ite.pl
Wed Jul 17 20:58:15 CEST 2002

I have some ideas, which should be discussed.

1. Multi database cluster solution.

-------- Postgresql docs -----------
Before  you  can  do  anything, you  must  initialize  a
database  storage area  on  disk. We  call  this a  database
cluster.
------------------------------------
In other words, database cluster is usually dir/file structure
under /var/lib/pgsql. Let's continue. :-]

It is impossible to create Postgresql *clean* multi database cluster
solution with PLD, currently. However, as many of us know, it is not
the fault of this RDBMS:
- every db cluster exists in separate directory
- every db cluster is configured with files in db cluster directory
  (pg_hba.conf, pg_ident.conf, postgresql.conf)
- every postgresql instance has its own pid file
  (postmaster.pid)
- every postgresql instance has its own postmaster options file
  (postmaster.opts)

So, let's simplify /etc/sysconfig/postgresql and /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql.

File /etc/sysconfig/postgresql should contain only one variable DATA_DIRS.
The variable should contain all db cluster dirs, i.e.

    DATA_DIRS="/var/lib/pgsql1 /var/lib/pgsql2"

All other setting can be set in postgresql.conf and postmaster.opts files
in given db cluster directory.

Above gives us init.d file simplification. We can remove all
POSTMASTER_OPTIONS stuff and even more.

2. Default behaviour, when there is no database cluster defined.

Currently, when db cluster is not defined, there is created a default one.

I think it should be changed, so there will be an error message that
given db cluster does not exist and exit without any further action.

Comments?

    wrobell <wrobell at ite.pl>