postgresql

wrobell wrobell at ite.pl
Thu Jul 18 08:41:31 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 03:11:35AM +0200, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
[...]
> > > Where do you want put per cluste confifuration files ?
> > Look into postgresql.conf in your db cluster dir. Then create
> > another db cluster with, for example 'initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql_001'
> > and compare directories. Starting postgresql should be easy with
> > following commands:
> >
> >     pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql start      # there is your db cluster, I think
> >     pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql_001 start  # change port in postgresql.conf!
>
> Separiation directiories, separation configurations seems done (in plan).
> Olny was rest pid files managing. Proposition: make /var/lock/subsys/psql/
> and store in this directory /var/lock/subsys/<cluster_name>.pid files.
Please, take a look into your db cluster dir again. There is a pid file.
It is always created per instance in db cluster dir.

The idea is that Postgresql gives us everything what is needed to create
support for multi db cluster solutions. It is only our fault that it is
not working yet.

> And next: instead list DATA_DIRS better will be use DATA_CLUSTERS and use
> in this variable not full directories names but subdirectories/cluster
> names as list subdirectories in /var/lib/pgsql for each cluster and
> as <cluster_name> in /var/lock/subsys/<cluster_name>.pid.
We can discuss variable name, but as I have put it above, cluster naming
is not necessary.

> So in this model will not be distinguishing between multi and single
> cluster postgresql runing (single cluster will be only special case
> multi cluster with only one cluster runed/configured) .. :) (?)
Yes.

> Probably will be also neccessary extending
> {start|stop|restart|reload|status} init script targets for allow operate
> on only one selected cluster.
Hmm... You're right.

    wrobell <wrobell at ite.pl>