striping .a files

Michal Moskal malekith at pld-linux.org
Mon May 13 17:42:56 CEST 2002

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 05:36:53PM +0200, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> On Mon, 13 May 2002, Michal Moskal wrote:
>
> > Why don't we strip them (i.e. why arn't they striped when .so files
> > are)? Debug symbols are not included in most cases anyway. Without strip
> > libjava.a (from gcc) is over 40 megs big. I'm intrested in it, since
> > ocaml package often use .a libraries, and they should be striped.
> >
> > Should I add this to our rpm scripts?
>
> No. Not using -g options not mean you not generate debuging informations.
> It is included anyway .. but less.

So? Are you going to link anything staticaly just to debug it? In order
to debug it properly you gonna have to have sources anyway. Therefore
you can build package with --debug.

Anyway program almost never involves debugging libraries it is linked
against.

I think it is worth to have 35+ megs smaller libjava for the cost of
not having some partital debug information, that is almost always
useless.

--
: Michal Moskal :::::::: malekith/at/pld.org.pl :  GCS {C,UL}++++$ a? !tv
: PLD Linux ::::::: Wroclaw University, CS Dept :  {E-,w}-- {b++,e}>+++ h