XML catalog

Artur Frysiak wiget at pld.org.pl
Mon May 27 12:04:20 CEST 2002

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 11:52:36AM +0200, wrobell wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 09:37:15AM +0200, Artur Frysiak wrote:
> [...]
> > Place of /etc/xml/catalog ?
> > I think better place for XML catalog is libxml2-progs because this
> > package includes /usr/bin/xmlcatalog - tool to manage XML catalogs.
> > But libxml2 uses this file directly and require it for proper work.
> Yes, /etc/xml/catalog should be in package, which contains libxml2
> library, because developers who use libxml2 would use catalog in their
> applications. Example application is xsltproc from libxslt-progs pacakge.

Yes, but /usr/bin/xmlcatalog is in libxml2-progs and all packages with
DTD/xsl stylesheets need to use /usr/bin/xmlcatalog to alter
/etc/xml/catalog.

But from other side, you are right.
My proposal:
/etc/xml/catalog in libxml2 package.
All packages with DTDs for XML documents
Requires(post): /usr/bin/xmlcatalog
Requires(postun): /usr/bin/xmlcatalog

I looked at docbook-dtd412-xml.spec from -r xmlcatalog.
I think this methodology is not good.
- not registering DTDs for XML documents in SGML SuperCatalog is not
  good for openjade/opensp and other SGML apps with XML extensions but
  without XML catalogs support.
- direct registering in /etc/xml/catalog is not good for packages
  upgrades/removals.
- registering SystemId by rewriteSystem tag is not correct and don't
  handle other files from package

Please look at xhtml-dtd10-xml.spec for my proposal.
If you have any questions please ask.

Regards