[MBT] new entry in pkg oidentd "Buffer overflow..."

Marcin Krol krol at sigma.wsb-nlu.edu.pl
Wed Nov 6 18:12:35 CET 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 04:51:20PM +0200, Marcin Krol wrote:
> > hangs due to "out of memory" problem. This is happening only on oidentd
> > 2.x. I've never noticed that kind of behaviour on any other identd
> > software, including oidentd 1.x. And after upgrading to 2.x, this happens
> > at least one  time per week. Its irritating because if I'm away from
> > server when oidentd starts eating up memory, machine will hang and will
> > not respond until I'll reboot it. BTW: oidentd ping-pong will not eat
> > memory with speed >= 50 megabytes per second.
>
> What is the output of the following command?
> wc -l /proc/net/ip_conntrack

[root at serv root]# wc -l /proc/net/ip_conntrack
    368 /proc/net/ip_conntrack
[root at serv root]# ps -ax|grep oidentd|wc -l
    362

And both are inrcreasing until machine hangs. Request was received from
remote server and 'netstat -anp' shows a lot of entries like the one
below:
tcp       29      0 127.0.0.1:4408          127.0.0.1:113
ESTABLISHED 25966/oidentd

I got confused by those local connections, and now I really don't know if
this is normal behaviour or not. But this is happens only on oidentd 2.x.
Switching back to oidentd 1.x fixed the problem.

M.