Shouldn't glibc-devel r: kernel-headers?

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz ankry at green.mif.pg.gda.pl
Sat Oct 12 21:21:54 CEST 2002

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 05:42:44PM +0200, Michal Moskal wrote:
> hing didn't=20
> ok to just=20
> ..}
> or
> > >=20
> > > No, because it will overwrite used asm headers from non-distro
> > > kernel.
> >=20
> > I guess one should use kernel headers that was used during glibc
> > compilation?
> I do not think so.
>
> For example take PLD Ra situation where 2.2 kernel
> is used. I had been using Ra glibc very long time=20
> with kernel 2.4.x.

... and you probably will not be able to use all 2.4 specyfic features
with your glibc, I guess.
Can you work with large files ?

> There are some situations when you should recompile
> your glibc, but they are rare.

Kernel 2.4+ headers are no longer intended to be used in userspace.
Eg., you must hack them in some places to use them with C++.
So providing own copy of hacked kernel-headers included into glibc-devel
seems to be the only choice when we switch into 2.4/2.6.

  Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz               ankry at mif.pg.gda.pl
  phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math.,   Gdansk University of Technology