Shouldn't glibc-devel r: kernel-headers?

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz ankry at green.mif.pg.gda.pl
Wed Oct 16 12:53:42 CEST 2002

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 09:21:54PM +0200, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> > > There are some situations when you should recompile
> > > your glibc, but they are rare.
> >
> > Kernel 2.4+ headers are no longer intended to be used in userspace.
> > Eg., you must hack them in some places to use them with C++.
>
> Where? I didn't change anything in 2.4 headers and don't see such
> problems (after recompiling glibc on those headers).
> But I did see strange type conflicts when I tried to use fresh kernel
> headers with glibc compiled on older headers (that was in 2.2.1x era).
> Those problems dissapeared after recompiling glibc.

I don't remember exactly - look for "bug" reports in l-k archives.
But AFAIR, it was a conflict between C++ keywords and variable/field/type
names used in kernel headers.

In C you would probably be more lucky.

Note also removal of __KERNEL__ macro tests from kernel headers in some
places.

  Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz               ankry at mif.pg.gda.pl
  phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math.,   Gdansk University of Technology