propsal: tasks

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl
Fri Sep 20 21:00:37 CEST 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Michal Moskal wrote:

> There are special packages called 'tasks' in debian. Some time ago I
> discuss this matter with Pawel Gajda. We come to conlusion that tasks
> would be better as a way of selecting packages then existing groups
> file. Reasons:
>
> 1) they are more understandable by avarage developer then bizzare groups
> file syntax
> 2) they can be easly checked (if all required packages are available)
> 3) they are not bound to bootdisks (they are fresh on ftp all the time)
>
> There is a problem with MTA-like packages, where one can select one of
> many possibilities but there are not so many of them so it can be
> resolved with separate text file (like groups).
>
> RFC.

Tasks ide is IMHO stupid because it touches base level package
dependencies. Installing grups packages for not skilled user can be
performed by additional tools without additional dependencies.
We are using now Group field only because it must be defined .. without
any additional consequeces so it can be explored for simplifyy some tasks
without any bad consequences. If you want regroup all packages/establish
new hierarhy fill free.

kloczek