RFC: Web packages and Prefix:

Michal Moskal malekith at pld-linux.org
Wed Aug 20 23:23:51 CEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 11:11:10PM +0200, Mariusz Mazur wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 of August 2003 22:35, Aredridel wrote:
> > I was wondering whether anyone else considered it of use to make web
> > packages relocatable.  I did some initial poking around, and see no
> > reason that SquirrelMail couldn't have
> >
> > 	Prefix: /home/services/httpd/html
> >
> > in the spec file. . . It would be of great utility to me to be able to
> >
> > 	rpm -i squirrelmail...rpm --prefix /home/sites/mail.nbtsc.org
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I must say that this is a very interesting idea but it would either require an
> ugly hack (some changes in rpm + some hackish stuff inside squirrelmail.spec)

Maybe you don't get the point, that this can already be done without any
hacking (beside Prefix: ... thing). No patches attached.

> or a higher level of abstraction inside rpm (eg. if I can install
> squirrelmail with a prefix than maybe I could install one in this dir, and a
> second one in that... but I would have real problems when trying to
> uninstall/upgrade/whatever any of them).

But this is of course still a problem. But IMHO it's better then
nothing.

--
: Michal Moskal :: http://www.kernel.pl/~malekith : GCS {C,UL}++++$ a? !tv
: When in doubt, use brute force. -- Ken Thompson : {E-,w}-- {b++,e}>+++ h