RFC: Web packages and Prefix:

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Wed Aug 20 23:29:53 CEST 2003

> > or a higher level of abstraction inside rpm (eg. if I can install
> > squirrelmail with a prefix than maybe I could install one in this dir, and a
> > second one in that... but I would have real problems when trying to
> > uninstall/upgrade/whatever any of them).
>
> But this is of course still a problem. But IMHO it's better then
> nothing.

Same here... most people won't use --prefix (without help from Poldek),
so all is well -- let those with know-how use it?

I would love to see much better support for prefix in RPMs in general,
especially things that do not fit well into FHS -- like web
applications.  FHS says /var/something -- which I think is insane.  I
like PLD's /home/services, but only for one-site servers.  When doing
many vhosts (like I do), /home/sites is very nice, so that is what I
use.  I can even use mod_dynamic_vhost to do most of the work.  The one
remaining problem is that all the web applications, I have to install
manually or symlink to RPM versions (like squirrel).

Ari